Youngest Age: 6
Instrument Taught: Drumset
Teaching at Mozingo Since: 1999
Joe Buerger has had the pleasure of performing and teaching in the Mid-West for many years. His outstanding performances have included the Washington University Orchestra and the St. Louis Philharmonic Orchestra. He also enjoyed being guest artist with the Forest Park Community College Stage Band. And currently, Joe appears regularly on the TV show, “Jazz is American Music”.
Joe was honored to be a guest artist at the Annual National Association of Jazz Educators Convention. The Meramec Community College and the National Association of Jazz Educators invited Joe to judge the stage bands and give a drum-set clinic at their Annual High School Jazz Band Competition.
Joe Buerger is a member of the National Association of Rudimental Drummers, and National Drum Association, and a contributing columnist for the “Percussive Arts Society” and “Modern Drummer” magazines.
“Joe has been a close and personal friend and student of mine. I recommend and authorize Joe to teach all of my methods and techniques to his students with my personal approval”
-Roy Burns (Internationally known drummer and clinician)
I work at Francis Howell Central High School. Our band director recommended Joe Buerger very highly for my son to take drum lessons. He is 12 years old and a 6th grader.
He has also studied with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra percussionists, Rich O’Donnell, David Rizzo and Al Hobbs. He also studied with Jazz great, Jeff Hamilton. Joe has backed numerous great artists, Barbara McNair, Jimmie Rodgers, Jazz vibist Don DeMichael, Bob Wilber, Eddie Higgins, Kenny Davern, and Jazz cornetist, “Wild Bill Davidson”.
Joe continues to perform regularly in St. Louis, as well as being on the Percussion Staff at Florissant Valley Community College. He maintains a busy teaching schedule and is very proud of his students, many of whom have gone on to become professionals!
He has had the pleasure of having Dave Weckl as a student, in the early years when he lived in St. Louis. Joe is very proud of Dave’s accomplishments as a star performer and a recording artist, but most of all, is please to call him a personal friend.
ObjectiveTo teach, enrich and instill a level of professionalism, musically, needed to succeed in becoming a performer in the music industry.
- Taught major recording artist and renowned drummer Dave Weckl. I taught Dave as a student in the early years when he lived in St. Louis.
- Toured with Bob Ceccarini Jazz Band
- This band tours the country playing favorites of the jazz era such as ballads, ragtime, and bebop. This all star band appears regularly on the cable TV show Jazz is American Music.
- Toured with Mike Vax Jazz Band (former trumpeter for Stan Kenton)
- The Mike Vax Jazz Band played the Sacramento Jazz Festival, LA Jazz Festival, Oregon Jazz Festival, Sun Valley Jazz Festival, and toured Europe.
- Percussion Staff at Florissant Valley Community College
- Maintains a busy schedule and has a long list of students many of whom have gone on to become professionals.
Major percussion performances
- I have many outstanding performances with the Washington University Orchestra, St. Louis Philharmonic Orchestra and guest performed with the Forest Park Community College.
- I have backed many greats in the music industry such as: Barbara McNair, Jimmie Rodgers, Don DeMichael, Bob Wilber, Eddie Higgins, Kenny Davern and Wild Bill Davidson.
- 1999 – present: Percussion Specialist for Mozingo Music, Ellisville, Missouri
- 1999 – present: Percussion Teacher Mozingo Music, Ellisville, Missouri
- 1995 – present: Percussion Teacher Florissant Valley Community College, St. Louis, Missouri
Education, Professional Memberships, and other Accomplishments
- Orchestral percussion studies with Rich O’Donnell, David Rizzo, and Al Hobbs
- Jazz studies with Jeff Hamilton
- Member of the National Association of Rudimental Drummers
- Member of the National Drum Association
- Member and contributing columnist for the Percussive Arts Society
- Contributing columnist for Modern Drummer magazine
- Honored guest artist at the annual National Association of Jazz Educators Convention
- Percussion judge at the National Association of Jazz Educators Convention
- Guest Clinician for Annual High School Jazz Band Competition